Sunday, July 26, 2009

*

In a USA Today story, Hank Aaron said that he would accept players who have been linked to steroids to be admitted to the Hall of Fame under one condition, that the players HOF plaque contain an asterisk. This announcement by Aaron has drawn some strong opposition from other Hall of fame players who stand determined to argue the admittance of any player connected to performance enhancing drugs including Goose Gossage and Mr. October himself, Reggie Jackson. As a collector and this being sports related, I have my own opinions regarding the subject which also affects my collecting habits.

I personally agree with Gossage and Jackson on the subject. Unfortunately there are players who have been implicated without any proof and there stands the difficulty on who should be admitted to the Hall and who should be denied.

This is one debate where I do not expect any decisions to be made any time soon by the spineless Bud Selig and will continue to be put in to the hands of the Hall of Fame voters to make the final decision. The fans know players are juicing, the managers and owners known players are juicing and even the commissioner knows that players are juicing yet very little has been done to counter this blight.

I now have no interest in collecting players like McGwire, Bonds, Clemens and Sosa. I know that there are collectors out there who still collect some of the players listed in the various reports or in rumors, but I see this as violation of the rules and I just cannot support these players.



No comments:

Post a Comment