Thursday, May 28, 2015

Trade Completed IV(b)


Today I am going to cover the Seahawks, Sonics and Suns that Bo sent me in the package that I started covering yesterday.

 The selection of Seattle Seahawks runs from the early 1980s through the 2000s and included some of the best to ever wear the navy and green. Included in the bundle are players like Sherman Smith, the first Seahawks RB (and current RB coach), Rickey Watters, Joey Galloway, Walter Jones and Lofa Tatupu (not one of the greatest but one of my favorites).

Here are some of my favorite cards:
Anything with Steve Largent is a win

Believe it or not I did not have a Boz rookie until this one got in to my hands. He was a bust as a professional football player but he was a complete success as the personality “Boz”. I wouldn’t say that I idealized him, far from it, but I did respect his play. When he wasn’t injured he was a dominant linebacker and as a high school linebacker I wanted to play that way. I even changed my jersey number to 55 when I switched positions to linebacker during my sophomore year (1987) after he was drafted by the Seahawks. Even now I still like him and have a small Boz collection.
The Seahawks have had some lethal running backs but I would rate Shaun Alexander as one of my favorites, tied with Lynch. And once again Bo hits a need for me and included a Madden 07 Shaun Alexander card. I have always wanted to pick up the Alexander Madden 07 & Madden 08 cards but I just never bought one, now I can scratch this one off of my “Want List” 


I got a little over 100 basketball cards, a mix of Seattle Supersonics and Phoenix Suns and one Steve Kerr that I needed for my collection.

I begin with the set that brought me back in to collecting sports cards, the 1992-93 Stadium Club set and my favorite basketball player ever Steve Kerr. He took the Arizona Wildcats to the 1988 Final Four, he holds the NBA record for highest career 3-Pt Field Goal Percent, won five NBA Championships with the Bulls and Spurs, built a dominant Phoenix Suns team while the team’s GM and as a rookie coach brought the Golden State Warriors to the NBA Finals.
Next up is my second favorite NBA team, the Seattle Supersonics.

When I saw this card I thought it was so cool. I have some neat Payton cards like the GP Scorers Club autograph I pulled from last year’s 2013-14 Immaculate Collection Basketball, but this card shows the epitome of GP’s ball handling skills as he flies through the air with a burning ball.
Then there is the ever-fertile Shawn Kemp (7 kids with 6 women). His high-flying aerial acrobatics were amazing to watch. As an added bonus the 93-94 Stadium Club includes Kemp flying in for a layup over Steve Kerr.
A couple of fan favorites: Detlef Schrempf and Xavier McDaniel, the X-Man also played for the Suns.

 

Going from the Pacific Northwest to the Southwest desert it is time to take a look at the Phoenix Suns, my favorite team. Any conversation about Top Suns will always include Kevin Johnson. KJ, now the Sacramento mayor and main reason the Kings are not in Seattle, was the skilled ball handler that led the team before the likes of Steve Nash. Like the Gary Payton 1995-96 Skybox I got a KJ version too and again it is a perfect example of how he controlled the game with the flaming ball.

Dan Majerle was a shutdown guy and could slam a ball with power, hence the Thunder Dan nickname.
A card with both KJ and Thunder Dan? Oh Snap!
There were three cards that are among the more unique cards in the package, three 1996 Collector’s Edge Key Kraze cards featuring Steve Nash, Ben Davis and Reggie Geary. Two Arizona Wildcats drafted by the Suns in 1996 (though neither played a game for the team) and one of the greatest NBA Point Guards.


 

This was such an amazing package that I am going to have to dig deep in to my collection and come up with some special for Bo.

No comments:

Post a Comment