Friday, July 3, 2015

To The Grave


Last week Zippy Zappy from Torren Up Cards posed a question to himself about which cards he would consider taking to the grave. What is funny is that earlier that day my son asked me if there were any of my cards that I would never sell so mentally I started going through my collection to consider which cards have more of a meaning to me and which ones I could do without if I chose to sell them.

I plan on being cremated but in this instance I will pose the same question:

Which cards would I bring to the grave?

I have quite a few vintage cards dating back to the late 1800s and they would make a nice collection in the afterlife.

Fast forward to pre-war confectionary cards like my 1933 National Chicle Sky Birds Richthofen. The beautiful illustrations could keep me company while the worms crawl in.
I could skip the whole cardboard collection and go with my 8x10 autographed Gale Sayers photo, we already share a birthday maybe we can share some laughs while the worms crawl out?

The photo is creased after being in my collection nearly 30 years (and numerous moves), but still a wonderful addition to my football collection.
Maybe something from my Griffey collection? Kerr, Largent or Jay Buhner? No… the worms will just play pinochle on my snout.



 

In the end I believe I would take just one card with me. The 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig #92, often considered his rookie card, was my first white whale and the first (and only) white whale that I actually own. Lou Gehrig was one of the good guys, he was a pure player and a great teammate. He actually signed with the Yankees out of college so he could give his signing bonus to his parents because they were in a serious financial bind and he wanted to pay for their home. Now that is a good boy.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure how I missed this post on my blogfeed. That Gehrig is the bee's knees.

    ReplyDelete