Sunday, September 25, 2016

R.I.P. Jose Fernandez And Arnold Palmer


 
It seems like I have had writer’s block over the last few days, probably even a week. I just cannot come up with content and fortunately I have had a number of posts already written and ready to go for just this type of occasion. My mind has been elsewhere and when I sit down to write I start out fine but hit a point where I just get side tracked and I cannot get back on point.
 
I actually have five or six posts begun, some just notes and some just need to be finished but I cannot seem to do it. None the less when events in the sporting world happen it is something I need to give full attention to and write something original.
 
Today we lost two, one in his prime and one a legend.
 
Early this morning the Coast Guard was dispatched to a boat accident off of Miami Beach, a boat carrying three occupants had hit a jetty and was overturned. When the Coast Guard arrived they found that all three of the occupants were deceased including Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez.
 
Over four seasons with the Marlins he was 38-17 with a 2.58 ERA including two All-Star appearances. The news took me back to the 1993 boating accident that took the lives of Cleveland Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews and severely injured Bob Ojeda. That one was a case of alcohol being involved while the accident that took Fernandez life does not appear to be alcohol or drug related. RIP Jose Fernandez
 
Then this afternoon we lost golfing legend Arnold Palmer. He passed away while being prepared for surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. When it came to golfing he was in rare air and was in a pantheon of men like Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan and Bobby Jones. He won 7 major championships, 62 wins on the PGA Tour and PGA Player of the Year twice. RIP Arnold Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment