Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Another Cavalcade Of Griffey Cards VII


The first company to attempt digital cards was Donruss with the 1997 VXP 1.0 release, it shouldn’t be a surprise but there was never a 2.0 release. The set was made up 50 base cards and 6 CD-ROMs and each $10 pack came with 10 base cards and a CD. The CD contains a screen saver and an interactive game and the sleeve is collectible too, it contains the player’s image on the front with the CD information on the back.
I already have Griffey’s base card from the set and I was originally considering just getting the CD but I found a person selling the CD and sleeve extremely cheap so I got the set. The CD itself is about the size of a rigid top loader with rounded corners with your standard silver underside (Pictured at top) Yes, I did try loading up the screen saver but I was denied.
I was not about to be deterred by a 20-year old CD-ROM and went to work. I extracted the video and audio files from the screen saver and loaded them up to my Youtube account. Are you ready to see some Griffey highlights from the Lou Pinnela/Kingdom era?  

The files are not the best quality but this is what you would have seen if you loaded up the disc on your Win 95 system and waited for the screen saver to kick in.

If you are interested in seeing Upper Deck's CD-ROM cards, called Power Deck, Gavin from Baseball Card Breakdown just did a post which includes 8 videos from various stars.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, a screen saver of "Cal Ripkin". Or maybe a scriin savir. Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this product before - what a wonderfully 90's oddball!
    I guess you do learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn. Cool video. Nice trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete