Monday, October 23, 2017

It Made An Appearance


A 2012 Topps Under Armour Trey Griffey autograph finally showed up for auction, ending yesterday at a unbelievable $51.01, especially when you consider that he was undrafted and is on the Dolphins practice squad. Jameis Winston and Dante Fowler Jr are both in the same 2012 set with the Fowler autograph selling around $25 and the Winston autograph around $70 so we know that Griffey’s selling price is not based on potential, but on his father’s legacy.

I was expecting the card to end around the $15 range, with about $10 of that being based on his father, but this final selling price has made me sad. I really was hoping to add this card to my University of Arizona collection, but I will not pay anything near $50 for the card.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure more will come up eventually, and when they do, I can't imagine that they will all be selling that high. Don't lose faith :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always fascinated by what people collect and value. If I would have stumbled across this card in someone's $2 bin this weekend, I would have totally passed it up. $51.01 is an insane amount of money for me. But I can totally appreciate the fact that there are two collectors out there who are willing to battle it out to add Griffey's son's autograph to their collection.

    ReplyDelete